Tuesday, August 4, 2026

four score review

This is the year time truly catches up

When age becomes an undeniable number

When a gathering of friends and family is customary

And congratulations are in order


Biologically it’s only incremental

Adding another year to all the others

What is just 1.25 percent longer lived

No big difference looked at this way


Though simply becoming an octogenarian

Hardly merits much attention in my view

Not really much of an accomplishment

Still I have much to celebrate 


Because I’m doing quite well all in all

Surprising myself stretching out

My personal time horizon beyond 80

Hoping for more good years


Having found my way to be happily paired

As companions who care for each other  

With a shared world view and interests

We enjoy each day being together


Even as the wear and tear accumulates

Moving these bones now more carefully 

Measuring the impact of each step 

With a new appreciation for mobility 


Fortunate to have my memories intact 

Able to recall a lifetime of people and events 

Adding up to the person I am today 

As I review my individual history 


I have tried to be a good person 

Though others will be the judge of that

And hopefully speak of me kindly

On balance when I am gone