Monday, August 21, 2023

background conversation

A stream of words often emerges in the dark 

Lying in bed with the lights out waiting to drift off 

A jumble of seemingly aimless brain activity

Lost in the night forgotten by morning


As if reading with my eyes closed

Disjointed phrases briefly appear 

Incomplete thoughts that soon fade away

Without making any sense of my life


No great revelations but sometimes ideas

If there is something to construct or repair 

Searching for a solution to a practical problem 

Wanting to be able to figure it out 


The words come on their own

Not summoned by me intentionally

Not possible for me to stop them 

So I let them flow unimpeded


Treating it as a background conversation 

A kind of idle chatter running it course 

Until listening to it no longer holds my interest

Releasing me at last into eventual sleep