Sunday, October 3, 2021

in the midst of an interesting conversation

In the midst of an interesting conversation
Listening to two women I adore exchange thoughts
Taking in the intelligence and empathy between them
Sometimes contributing myself as well

This is my immediate family interacting
On a visit to my youngest daughter post surgery
Whose recovery is proceeding quite well
And I am delighted she is feeling up to it

We are discussing a book written by a teenage boy
About himself as he grows into a sensitive young man
Given so much help and support by his mother
Learning to handle his volatile emotions

I am sitting with them at the very same table
In the very same seat in which I sat as a boy
Aware of the absence of my dear mother lost to cancer
Aware of the rejection from my angry alcoholic father

Recoiling as I experience a flashback insult from him
Remembering coming of age when it was not safe at home
In the midst of the love I am feeling shared in this room today
Joy juxtaposes against a rush of painful memories

For me to choke up trying to express myself
Overcome by a burst of happiness mixed with grief
Such is a familiar dissonance in my adult life
Released in the midst of relief that my daughter is okay