Wednesday, February 10, 2021

the conversation

My body talks to me sending signals 

Speaking of chronic aches and pains

Nothing I want to hear about 

Nothing but background noise 


As long as it lets me sleep 

As long as it's not getting worse 

As long as it's not life threatening 

There’s no need to pay attention 


Better to ignore and push through 

Body parts wearing out as expected 

The symptoms of old age no surprise 

Just let me continue as before 


But if something starts shouting

Demanding immediate attention 

There's no choice but to stop and listen 

To seek a measure of relief 


When every conversation turns medical

The topic of stories that old people exchange 

When getting treatment is the main activity 

Let that state wait until later please 


For now we go places and do things every day 

Moving around outside of ourselves 

Taking in the world we live in 

Interested in everything there is