Friday, December 4, 2020

pieces of my former self

They come to me as I am falling asleep

Or when I am reading someone's story

Or in odd moments having associations

Remembering people and places


A lifetime of experiences comes back

As discrete interactions and feelings 

Jumbled bits carried into my thoughts 

Conjured into an ephemeral existence 


Too transient to describe in detail 

Too many to arrange in a sequential story

Wandering through this memory palace

Finding stored pieces of my former self


I hope to not ever forget any of it

Brought to mind to keep it from fading 

When I was very young and much older

Living through so many changes 


I think this is what any of us ends up with 

If we survive to see wrinkles in the mirror 

Perhaps marking the accumulation of wisdom

Contemplating all that we have been through 


Looking back connects the past to the present 

To understand our evolving individual identity 

To know what makes us us as we are now 

To appreciate all the more what we have today