Monday, May 11, 2020

different days

We go to that house on different days 
My daughter and I keeping our distance 
Leaving things for each other safely exchanging 
Tokens of our affection staying connected. 

I haven’t seen her in the longest time
And it will be some time more before I do
But we keep in touch all the same
Needing to know we are each all right.

In those rooms I hear her voice from before 
I see her smile coming through the door 
Memories of a happy time living together 
When she was preparing to go out on her own.

Now the pandemic brings a weekly visit home 
Doing her laundry and enjoying the backyard deck 
Getting away from the urban crush of people 
Living in view of Manhattan across the Hudson. 

And we go to our house every nine or ten days 
Traveling back from our May sojourn upstate 
Exploring the Hudson Valley and Catskills 
Where we wait out the worst of the first wave.

We go to water the plants and take in the mail 
And see the light coming through the windows 
And see the garden in spring flowering 
And imagine living here again next month. 

As the days go by getting used to a new routine 
Feeling healthy enough not thinking I'm sick
I'm ready to let go of my worries and enjoy 
Being where we can be by ourselves outdoors.