Monday, December 3, 2018

migrants

Packing up clothes and shoes and toiletries
With kitchen items, medications and electronics
Everything we need to take with us
Going south to enjoy being warm in the winter months.

Loading up our car with our portable life
With bikes mounted hanging behind us
Driving the interstates 1300 miles in three days
Arriving at last near the Gulf Coast by the Everglades.

Here we are living a life of leisure
Doing our version of self-guided eco-tourism
Being active seniors keeping fit and relaxing
But all the while I keep thinking of the migrant caravan.

Their desperation lurks at the edge of my thoughts
Images of  young people with backpacks walking in groups
Images of families living in tents waiting to continue
Images of women and children running from tear gas.

I do not fear these people
Though they speak a different language
Though their skin is darker than mine
Though it is said they are criminals and worse.

I know what they want is what we all want
I know that they hope for a better life
I would welcome them with a hug for all they have suffered
Not punish them for being poor seeking work.

We need the aspiration of these people to keep on with it
In this place populated by the children of immigrants
Who came in search of the American dream
To follow in their footsteps making something of nothing.

I wish I could meet them at the border
Shielding them from the guns and hatred
Giving them safe passage past the police
Allowing just one moment of happiness.