Saturday, August 11, 2018

no complaints

Talk to people about their lives
Asking how things are going for them
If you are ready to listen to troubles
That is the usual fare served up these days.

Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry
The weather is our communal experience
Shared background to our individual struggles
With personal problems all too common.

When I listen to these often unhappy stories
I am affected and want to help somehow
Such response being neither asked nor expected
Such offers as I make likely politely declined.

I have no complaints of my own to tell
Though I can report certain symptoms of age
And difficult times have been part of my life
I’m in such a good place now it’s a bit unreal.

I expected to work until I dropped dead
Like so many others my age have to do
But being in the right place at the right time
Touched my work life with good fortune.

I’m entirely happy living with my sweet partner
A remarkably kind and compassionate person
Who guides my thoughts to good decisions
Whom I enjoy being with every day we are together.