Sunday, June 10, 2018

skin in the game

Four pieces of tissue were taken from my skin
None of them where I can see them directly
From the top of my head to the base of my neck
To the pair behind me on my left shoulder blade.

Four holes slow to heal from these strange wounds
Needing another person to care for me every day
Being unable to perform the simple bandage change
Feeling vulnerable, not used to depending on others.

Two weeks suspended in wait for the biopsy results
No doctor before ever saw anything suspicious
Is this one just padding their fee for service billing
Or will larger deeper wounds be in store for me?

My love has recurring skin cancer that impacts her some
Slathering sunscreen on her face and hands before stepping outside
Covering up arms in sleeves and legs in pants even in the heat
Looking around at things from under a huge brimmed hat.

I hope that’s not me, too, though worse things could happen
As long as it’s not life threatening I will be happy
As long as I can get out and move in the world I will enjoy
The way we make adjustments and keep on going.