Sunday, January 15, 2017

January 2017



for Rosie and Milt

From my cushioned seat on a back porch in January Florida
I am overlooking the drainage canal on a warm afternoon
Watching the tricolor heron at the water’s edge stalking fish
As a pair of glossy ibises enter the picture from stage right.

I get my camera and walk out to the canal margin
Taking photographs to take you there with me.
Now there are two tricolor herons and a little blue
And a kingfisher chattering in the near distance.

My thoughts are with you there in that Brooklyn apartment
Housebound for some years now in a wheelchair
Managing somehow to be your bedridden husband’s caregiver
Finding a way to keep it together with a sense of humor.

I am old now but you are older, old enough to be my mother
And I enjoy hearing your stories of the times of your life
When we come to visit with you there for an afternoon
As I remember as a child listening to my mother tell me about her life.

When I was a young man new to New York and unemployed
Your husband coached me how to use my knowledge to help others
Advocating to reverse unjust denial of unemployment benefits
Encouraging me through his enthusiasm for the labor struggle.

Infused with such a passion to make a workers revolution
He kept the fire alive for the next generation and the next
But you know the softer sweeter side of this man
As we have heard you tell of a place in the country enjoyed together.

These are happy memories to have and to hold
When events may take a dire turn
And life’s difficulties become a heavy burden
May this poem give you a respite from your cares.