Friday, October 11, 2013

At the end of the day

for Charlie

Who knew you would be with us today?
You have survived multiple medical crises
While others have fallen like the leaves
Covering the ground we walk upon.

Those who survive mourn those who do not.
You have lost your better half, the love of your life.
You have lost your older and younger brothers.
You have lost too many dear friends.

It is natural to have a certain melancholy
As we grow old and lose loved ones
As our bodies age and lose abilities
As we grow aware of everything passing away.

There is a sweetness to the sadness.
We have our memories of happy times together
And times of need when we were there
Holding each other holding things together.

I remember visiting you and your family as a child
Happy to be accepted and included in the fold.
I felt the love given and received by everyone in your house.
I come to visit now to find that goodness in your core.

You worked hard to provide for a large family.
You were a good steward of that large colonial house.
You did good works to help less fortunate people.
You were like a father to me when I needed you.

It means so much to me that you approve of me
That you give me acceptance and praise my successes.
I bring my child and my sweetheart to visit you
To enjoy your presence and for you to enjoy them.

Your death will be a great loss to us
We who have known you over the years.
We hope that day will not come soon.
We need good people in this world among us.