Wednesday, October 21, 2009

the planted tree












Once I had eyes only for wild life,
The plants that plant themselves,
The wild animals running free,
As if human cultivation devalues.

As if any true wild habitat exists here.
I live in a patchwork landscape
Developed and undeveloped land
Interlaced and commingled

There are wild animals here that thrive
Living in proximity to human communities,
Foraging where humans cultivate:
Deer, raccoons, possum, geese, pond turtles.

It is a seamless web of life
Like the way the wildflowers flourish
Along the roadside shoulder
Where construction bares the soil.

Now I appreciate the planted trees.
I see them everywhere I see people live.
I see the private yards with their special trees.
I see the public streets lined with rows upon row.

And all of it improves our environment.
And all of it creates a beauty in our lives.
I am learning their names like I know wildlife species:
Sycamores and planes, locusts and scholars, oak variations.

The town has planted a tree in my front yard this year.
I do not know its name. Perhaps an ash?
I will name it and care for it while I am here,
Such a simple way to contribute my part.