Thursday, August 6, 2009

dream labyrinth


I am in the college library building.
It is a familiar dream setting.
Strange, because I did not frequent it much
When I was a student years ago.

The building tower is iconic
Visible for miles around
That small New England town
Like a church steeple would be elsewhere.

I used to see that building in the center of the campus
Every time I visited my grandmother as a child,
She working on Main Street in the department store,
Me walking there up the hill from her apartment.

I know it is that library but the rooms are unfamiliar.
I’m in what seems to be the main room by the entrance.
It is crowded with young people, men and women.
I pass on through. I don’t know what I am looking for.

I am looking around trying to see which way to go.
I think I should remember the way from before.
I’ve wandered through this dream labyrinth in the past.
I find myself in a smaller attached building again.

Now I’m just trying to find my way out.
There is a woman with me tonight.
There’s no one else in this building.
Somehow I know it is used by the Outing Club.

We discuss our options which way to go.
We are trying to find a way to get downstairs.
There must be a way to get there.
It’s a process of trial and error to find it.

That’s as far as I get in my dream tonight.
Another night I will return to the library
And resume my explorations,
Hoping my companion is there with me.